Monday 10 July 2017

22 Unforgettable Memories from my childhood



10 months ago i turned 25, 
 Looking back at the past 25 years ...along the road there has been many moments of grief, hardships, struggles and confusion which often made me bemoan my circumstances, yet at the same time I can't help but be grateful to God for the good moments that I have experienced, the few years I spent with my father, the chance to laugh, the friendships that blossomed over the years, etc. I'm also grateful for my childhood memories that are filled with rainbows, absurdity and happiness.

In about 2 months i'll be turning a year older, oh i miss the days when i didn't have to be so serious about life! Now i'm an adult and adulting has proven to be more challenging than i anticipated. The old days were simplier, even though i can't go back to where i came from, i have the memories carved into my brain


Here are 22 memorable things from my childhood:


1. Bladder training

This was mandatory 


2. My dad nicknamed me "Nzie"(Locust) because I was very active as a child(running/jumping around, noisy, inquisitive), that name scared me for a while because my cousins used it to annoy me and it always sounded like a mild rebuke and i was not about that Introvet life!


3. No Sunday school, No 7 colors
One of the neighbours who lived straight down the road threated to convince my parents to not allow me and my brother to eat Sunday kos if we didn't go to church


4. The last conversation i had with my dad. He adviced me to finish school. He always said if a boy promises me an Aeroplane i should ask him to provide an airport too. He said boys are gross.

5. My Kindergarten class once went on a trip to Meat Centre (literally 3km away from my house&900m away from the creche)

6. My older brother pocketed my lunch money. We were in the same Primary school. My mom used to give him R8 to share half with me but he would give me lunch from home and kept my R4

7. My older brother and I skipped school to watch WWE wrestling specials. We had DSTV very early on.

8. my sister and brother convinced us to cook and eat a whole crate of eggs(48), our maid snitched on us. My sister was shambocked because of it. she paid the price.

9. My little brother was the perfect addition to my family. i was 7 years old and in grade 1 when my little brother was born...my mom convinced me she got him from "Ha-Kutama"; it was not until i was in grade 9 when i realised babies are not from Ha-Kutama. 

10. I once back chat to an older guy passing by our house and i paid for it, our maid beat the mess out of me

11. I had "school mothers" who used to give my presents to my older siblings yet i never received them

12. dumping a school mom required a gutted down fish and a dirty D.V.S note!

13. My sophisticated aunt was a teacher in the Junior primary school i attended which boosted my popularity status. It was a big deal if you had a parent or relative as a teacher in the school you attended

14. My neighbour was a teacher in the Senior primary i attended so i never cleaned the classrooms with other kids after school

15. I was a good dancer. Believe it or not, i danced Majorette

16. I was a hated classroom rep at once. Because my neighbour selected me for everything.....i didn't let othet kids flourish

17. I had a new bestfriend every month.

18. In Junior primary, one of my teachers(whose name i won't mention) taught us that a flight from South Africa to Israel is only 8 minutes and i was so gulliable

19. I was selected to be the MC on children's day at Church. My mom convinced me to begin my greeting to the whole church by saying "Hello, I'm gonna be your MC today" and everyone replied "huuuuh?" then i explained "your Master of ceremony,mutshimbidza mushumo" to which everyone applauded and whistled. Thinking of it now that was a very basic moment that needed no applause! lol

20. Playing Mahundwane/Zwavhana(house) with kids in the neighbourhood

21. Thanzi broke my leg while we were playing in one of the Creche swings......then my teacher fed me pap& minestrone soup. yuck!

Then

22. I grew up and realised being an adult sucks. Its like looking both directions before crossing the road then getting hit by an aeroplane. I miss the simplier times, I miss my dad!






No comments:

Post a Comment